[TYPO3-templavoila] Continue f. t.team.core: Templavoila localization

Kasper Skaarhoej kasper2006 at typo3.com
Fri Mar 17 12:57:47 CET 2006

> I think I know why most of us never used sys_language_overlay and try to
> ignore it :)
>
> Most of multilanguage typo3 sites in the world were made using your old
> tutorial as guideline (this one:
> http://typo3.org/documentation/tips-tricks/multi-language-sites-in-typo3/).
> This tutorial is the main source of information for now but it does not
> methion ys_language_overlay at all. We simply never used it.
>
> But I must admit you tutorial helped to create lots of localized sites
> even without this option ;)

I agree.

That is why I made this new document!

The background for my recommendations (the K-paradigm) is that at some point
I was almost loosing breath when I was looking at how many ways there were to
localize things now that we had FlexForms and TemplaVoila. Even my own brain
couldn't follow the trail anymore.
The K-paradigm is limiting the possible routes (basic creed "<langDisable>=1
for all containers") while maintaining the possibility of almost all
scenarios.
The R-paradigm ("<langDisable>=0 on all containers") leads in to an
exponentially growing number of dead ends when nesting FCEs on multiple
levels. (See my 12:47 post documenting this problem).

I guess the reason why people haven't met this problem is simply because they
don't build such advanced pages (nesting FCEs) but that just means the beast
is waiting to attack them unexpectedly!

>> Dmitry and Bernhard, since you read the localization guide and this is
>> still
>> not clear to you it shows me that we must somehow work on improving my
>> document to communicate this point. When at some point we are on the same
>> page please think about how people with your "glasses on" can be made to
>> understand it so I can improve that document.
>
> I think I am starting to get picture now. Yes, I see in the guide that
> it is about flexform. Before now I always though about it like about a
> whole page. So guide should point in some way, stress it, that
> properties of flexform inside page record do not dictate properties of
> the page. So localization mode of the flexform has absolutely nothing to
> do with page localization mode.

I will add that.

- kasper