[TYPO3-templavoila] Continue f. t.team.core: Templavoila localization

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Fri Mar 17 12:22:49 CET 2006

Hi!

Kasper Skaarhoej wrote:
> Of course, this might sound as if it wouldn't work and that is mainly because
> people seems unfamiliar with the "config.sys_language_overlay=1" option which
> means that any default element that is asked to be rendered when another
> language is selected for display WILL only be rendered if there is a
> localization found (that overlays it!)

I think I know why most of us never used sys_language_overlay and try to
ignore it :)

Most of multilanguage typo3 sites in the world were made using your old
tutorial as guideline (this one:
http://typo3.org/documentation/tips-tricks/multi-language-sites-in-typo3/).
This tutorial is the main source of information for now but it does not
methion ys_language_overlay at all. We simply never used it.

But I must admit you tutorial helped to create lots of localized sites
even without this option ;)

> Dmitry and Bernhard, since you read the localization guide and this is still
> not clear to you it shows me that we must somehow work on improving my
> document to communicate this point. When at some point we are on the same
> page please think about how people with your "glasses on" can be made to
> understand it so I can improve that document.

I think I am starting to get picture now. Yes, I see in the guide that
it is about flexform. Before now I always though about it like about a
whole page. So guide should point in some way, stress it, that
properties of flexform inside page record do not dictate properties of
the page. So localization mode of the flexform has absolutely nothing to
do with page localization mode.

This is hard to accept at the beginning but after some thinking I start
accepting it in my head :)

>>> lDEF | field_content | vDEF => '123(EN),334(EN),456(DK),559(EN)',
>> Does not look right for me if it goes to flexform. vXX is for language,
>> here we put other languages into default.
>
> Bernhard is right here! Notice that lDEF and vDEF in this case represents a
> "universal" container element.

vDEF in one case is "universal" and just "default" in another. This does
not look right to me. I hate when one element is used differently under
different conditions :( This complicates things and does not make clear
system in my opinion. Of course it is possible to live with it but this
is inconvenient.

Dmitry.