[TYPO3-templavoila] Using conditional comments in TV

Jan Wulff messages at janwulff.de
Tue Jun 6 23:36:24 CEST 2006

Hi,
>> I don't want to be impolite, but could you please give me an example for
>> such a solution to the above-mentioned bugs without a hack? For all the
>> three bugs you have to use either css-hacks or use elements in your html
>> code, you wouldn't need in a standard-conform browser.
> Well, my native language is not English, I do not really know what names
> of these bugs mean. What I usually do is constantly checking with at
> least three browsers (msie, ff, opera) that output looks the same. This
> sometimes requires several DIVs, SPANs, cleaner DIV and usage of
> "!important" property. But it all works.
>
> I got a lot of useful knowledge about CSS from books in my language and
> from learning CSS Zen Garden examples.
Yes, CSS Zen Garden is a really great site. I do the same, first building
the site in a standard conform browser like FF, then testing in Opera, IE
and other browsers.

I'm building complex css-based sites for years now and I have always
managed it to make them work in everything from IE 5.x upwards. That
requires some hacks and good knowledge of browser bugs, but I prefer this
way before interfering with a clean html structure. Using conditional
comments can finally bring a solution for all the possible side-effects of
css hacks, because all the special properties are only read by the buggy
browsers (IE) and one can address each version of them with a single
stylesheet.

I guess we're just having a different point of view, so it would be
senseless to quarrel about it. :) I try to use as least hacks as possible,
but I rather use them instead of disrupting a clean html structure.

But allow me one question: Do you know that IE7 understands the
"!important" attribute? What will you do then, to apply different values
for IE?

>> Ok, thanks, but shouldn't this be relative easy to implement? I mean, is
>> there a reason why the TV output is always the last one in the html head?
> I answered this already two times. I wil answer once more (the last
> time): this is not tv problem but ptoblem of typo3 html parser, which is
> not in tv but inside typo3 core, which is much harder to change.
Then I have misunderstood you, sorry. I though it was a problem of the
parser, that it is not possible to select comments, but you mean that the
order of the TV output in the html head is a problem with the html parser.
Thanks.

Best Regards
Jan