[TYPO3-templavoila] Using conditional comments in TV

Jan Wulff messages at janwulff.de
Tue Jun 6 17:25:35 CEST 2006

Hi,

>> If you're ignoring IE5 and don't use floats (guillotine bug, double
>> float-margin bug, escaping floats bug, ...) it is possible to do modern
>> layouts without hacks, but even then you have to live with line-height and
>> list bugs. Of course you don't have to use conditional comments, but aren't
>> they a lot better than the usual hacks?
> I ignore ie5 but use floats all the time. There are several solutions to
> common problems, they are well known and do not require hacjs or
> conditional comments.
I don't want to be impolite, but could you please give me an example for
such a solution to the above-mentioned bugs without a hack? For all the
three bugs you have to use either css-hacks or use elements in your html
code, you wouldn't need in a standard-conform browser.

>> I wish it would be dead, but the statistics of most of my sites (and for
>> example of w3schools.com) are listing the IE5 (and 5.5) around 5%. A lot
>> customers are not willing to lose 5% of their users, when even modern
>> layouts can be adapted to the IE5 with some hacks or better, conditional
>> comments.
> Well, why not to use tables then? Much simpler and easier. It does not
> look logical for me to use hack only for making CSS-based design.
The era of table-based layouts should be really over and I believe that is
one of the most important advancements the web has made in the last years.
Tables (when used for layout instead for pure table data) destroy the
semantic structure of your html, bloat up the code, hinder accessibility
and hamper the maintenance of the page. You talked about standards some
posts before, so I believe you know that the W3C itself strongly recommends
to not use tables for layout purposes. There must be thousands of websites
which describe the whole subject much better, than I can do here. Just read
the W3C guidelines or start here:
http://www.alistapart.com/

>> I would be fully satisfied to do it with TS, but as I wrote before, the TV
>> output is always the last one in the html head. If I could set the
>> conditional comments via TS after the TV output, everything would be fine.
>> Is there a way I have overlooked? Thanks.
> No... Unfortunately :(
Ok, thanks, but shouldn't this be relative easy to implement? I mean, is
there a reason why the TV output is always the last one in the html head?

Best Regards
Jan