[TYPO3-Solr] Boost documents of a certain type even with sorting

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Thu Oct 18 12:13:33 CEST 2012

Am 17.10.12 21:08, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:

Hi Jonas, hi Jigal,

> Short answer: use a boost query (which has more weight than a boost
> function)

yes and no. I'd also choose a boost query, but only because that's
easier for this case. They do not have higher boosts than a boost
function though. It all depends on the configuration/the amount of boost
you set.

> or use an extra field set with a different value for each type
> and sort on that field as well (you can sort on multiple fields)

That's a possible way to go too, use a different/custom/own sorting field.

In general, documents are sorted by relevance by default. That takes
into account boosts. When you sort by let's say title, then of course
you'll sort by title, not by relevance. Thus boosts are not taken into
account, no matter what you do.

So a custom sorting field would likely be the way to go here.

Best, HTH,
Ingo

--
Ingo Renner
TYPO3 Core Developer, Release Manager TYPO3 4.2, Admin Google Summer of Code

TYPO3 - Open Source Enterprise Content Management System
http://typo3.org

Apache Solr for TYPO3 -
Open Source Enterprise Search meets Open Source Enterprise CMS
http://www.typo3-solr.com