[TYPO3-extbase-kickstarter] Best practice to set storagePid in "tutorial mode"?

Nicolas de Haen typo3 at ndh-websolutions.de
Mon Jul 25 09:07:55 CEST 2011

Hi,

since the extension builder is just a very small step from being
released into TER I would like to discuss this issue:

I want to introduce a "tutorial mode" (the opposite of the existing
"advanced mode") to make it easier for extbase newbies to get started.

One issue that is almost always forgotten is to configure the storage pid.

I see 3 possibilities to help here:

1. Display a message in frontend:
"Please include the static template and set the storage pid in the
constant editor" (Current solution)

2. Display a message in frontend:
"Please select the recordStorage page in the plugins "Behaviour" tab"

3. provide a working configuration "out-of-the-box" for the tutorial
mode by writing:

plugin.tx_extkey.persistence.storagePid.cObject = TEXT
plugin.tx_extkey.persistence.storagePid.cObject.field = pid

into ext_typoscript_setup.txt

This would result in a storagePid pointing always to the current page
(where the plugin is placed)
That would make it easier to have a working plugin "out-of-the-box", but
it is of course not always best practice to configure a plugin like that
(especially if you have different pages for creating and listing records).

It's a general strategic question; Should the focus be more on a quick
sense of achievement for new users or should it be on best practice...

regards,
Nico