[TYPO3-extbase-kickstarter] Ext. Builder scaffolding limits

Eric S. Auchterberge endurans at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 15:13:07 CEST 2011

Hi Nico,

Thanks for your answer.

the scaffolding does not support nested objects in the frontend. You have to
> add the appropriate fields in the templates yourself.

Right, or put in DDD terms: at this time, one of the Extension Builder
scaffolding limits is that it doesn't generate complete CRUD operations for
Aggregate Roots which have Value Object as properties, so you will have to
finish them by hand. The good news is that extbase makes this task extremely
easy to achieve, look at following post by Pascal Jungblut:

http://pascal-jungblut.com/blog/blog-post/2010/08/19/submit-properties-of-properties.html

Also, and this limitation is stated at the wiki, but maybe with not enough
weight, Extension Builder doesn't support modeling single inheritance, so
you will also need to finish them by hand, again the good news is that
Extbase does suport it through STI (single table inheritance) and also
Pascal does have a useful post about the issue:

http://pascal-jungblut.com/blog/blog-post/2010/11/04/single-table-inheritance-in-extbase.html

> Since there might be various possibilities to implement nested objects it
> is difficult to provide a default solution for the frontend. We would at
> least need the same stuff like in the backend:
> Inline editing or dropdown or multi select with a wizard to edit or add new
> items etc.

Sure, but aren't 1:1 relations an easy case to scaffold?

Greetings,
Eric