[TYPO3-doc] Thanks: caching framework documentation

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue Jan 8 20:25:59 CET 2013

Hi Christian,

> There are also some loose ends for 6.0 (The frontends changed a bit for
> example), and I'd like to finish that. Is there any advice if and how
> changes for younger TYPO3 versions should be marked, or how "old"
> content should be handled that is not valid anymore in young core versions?

The recent consensus is to have a version of a manual for each version
of TYPO3, in order not to bloat the text with a long enumeration of
versions and how a given part of the Core works for each of them.
Branches exist is Git or are created as we go (e.g. I now need to create
a 4.5 branch for Core APIs). This leads to different versions on the
docs server too (although I can't remember now how the URLs look). What
is currently missing is a visual way to navigate between versions.

This is nearly not implemented yet and the caching framework is a good
example: I took what was in the wiki and there are typically mentions of
several versions. What would be good though is that, by the time we
bring Core APIs up to par with 6.0, we remove all stuff regarding older
version, letting people refer to older version of Core APIs for that.