[TYPO3-doc] setting up reST rendering server (Debian Linux)

Michael typo3ml at schams.net
Wed Dec 19 12:22:43 CET 2012

On 19/12/12 00:14, François Suter wrote:

>> ... but what should I do now to trigger the conversion reST ->  HTML?
>> Where should I put the reST files?
>
> If you have followed the whole setup you should be ready to do some
> rendering. The ReST is in the Git repository of the manual you want to
> render. Go to where you cloned it locally and move to
> "Documentation/_make". There just type "make html", for example, to
> render to HTML. The rendered stuff will be in "build/html", which you
> can then view in your browser.

Awesome! Works very well... more or less :-) I suggest to separate the
Mac OS instructions from the Linux stuff on the Wiki page... for someone
not familiar with evil-Apple, but experienced with Linux, it's a kind of
confusing (see note below).

I managed to set up a Debian 6.0.x squeeze server from scratch, install
and setup all packages required, clone a TYPO3 documentation written in
reST, render it with the TYPO3 theme and get a bunch of nice HTML files
(incl. CSS, images, etc.). There are a few minor issues (e.g. the "Table
of Contents" is not working) but I will have a closer look at this
before I ask stupid questions here :-)

Note: if you agree that it makes sense to separate Mac and Linux, I am
happy to document every single step required to set up the reST
rendering workflow based on a clean, fresh Debian Linux instance. I
understand it's very similar to Mac, but a walk-through focused on
Debian/Linux would be 100% open source and free...

Cheers
Michael