[TYPO3-caretaker] Caretaker sends no emails

Martin Ficzel martin.ficzel at gmx.de
Fri Oct 29 12:43:33 CEST 2010

Am 20.10.10 16:58, schrieb Nina:

> Hi,
>
> I have had a lot of problems to get the mail-notification running.
> So I got the last version of caretaker from the Subversion repository.
> But still, I dont get it running.
>
> I set up tt_address and build a address group and an adress.
> I enabled simpleMailNotification in ExtMgm and set sender / subject and link
> I set a contact in the Instancegroups and in one Instance
>
> I tried to find where the bug may be and came to the file:
> caretaker/classes/nodes/class.tx_caretaker_AbstractNode.php
>
> I set a test in the function
> public function notify ($event, $result = NULL, $lastResult = NULL ){
> // find all registered notification services
> $notificationServices = tx_caretaker_ServiceHelper::getAllCaretakerNotificationServices();
> foreach ( $notificationServices as $notificationService ){
> $notificationService->addNotification( $event, $this, $result, $lastResult );
> }
> }
>

> $notificationServices gives back an array witch says "1". Thats all.
> And in the next line the foreach dont get executed.
>
> Can someone help me get the mail-service running?
>
> Greetings

Hello,

i just found another possible email problem that could cause some of the trouble you are
experiencing.

The php-cli which is used by typo3-cli and the sceduler aswell has a seperate php.ini
which by default has a low meory limit. In edge cases that causes the strange situation
that caretaker performs the tests and updates the nodes but the php process gets killed
before the mails are sent which happens after all tests.

The problem can be difficult to find since error-logging for php is off for cli mode at
least on debian, so you will not find the memory-errors anywhere.

Since you will usually enter a specific node id on the cli during manual testing and not
"root" you will recieve mails on manual cli-ececution but not on cron-run for the whole
nodetree.

To avoid this check:

- Set the memory limit in php.ini for cli to 64MB or 128MB.
- Add error logging php.ini for cli.
- Check that the cronjob-user cron can send mails.
- Execute the cli manually and see wether you recieve mails.

Regards, Martin