[TYPO3-caretaker] RPC for caretaker

Georg Kuehnberger georg at georg.org
Wed Apr 21 19:09:38 CEST 2010

Martin Ficzel wrote:
> Am 19.04.10 13:00, schrieb Pascal Jungblut:
>> Hey Martin,
>>
>> what I want to implement is basically an overview as the caretaker
>> provides it in the backend module. First it should be possible to view
>> the testresults, charts, information and maybe to trigger the tests
>> manually. I don't know if it would make sense to edit and add tests
>> via the iPhone.
>>
>>> The caretaker_instance extension already has some sort of encrypted
>>> method calling implemented. For security reasons it only executes
>>> previously registered methods (we call this remote operations). The list
>>> of remote operations can be extended by extensions so you can add all
>>> the operations you need in an extension which afterwards would be
>>> installed on the caretaker-server. The request-building / -decryption
>>> etc. happens in the caretaker_instance extension so you will find
>>> examples there.
>>
>> Thanks a lot, I will take a look at that! Do you know if there is any
>> definition of the API out in the wild?
>
> Hi Pascal,
>
> no there is none. We planned to use the encrypted communication only
> between caretaker_instance(server) and caretaker_instance(client). The
> implementation is focused on security. So if you only want to display
> informations you could also get from the caretaker frontend adding a
> json webservice is ok for me. If you want to manipulate settings or
> trigger testruns i strongly recommend to use the encrypted api instead.
> It's no rocket science just an ssl encrypted xml which contains
> operation-id and params.
>
> On the other hand an optimized mobile web-frontend would do the job too.
> If you create such a css and template we could add this to the caretaker
> extension.
> Regards, Martin

In case you're going the "optimized mobile web-frontend"-route, you
might be interested in the following:

I can recommend iwebkit, which provides a nicely styled css+js-framework
for the iPhone; nice = imitates app-styles very fine incl. fullscreen cap
checkout http://demo.iwebkit.net/ on your iphone/simulator or
http://iwebkit.net/ on your browser.

Short Story: For a client of ours, we've just implemented a shop-system
with some 25.000 products and an iPhone-App which gets all displayed
product-info via REST from the shop-system. However it turned out that
there was a need for the content behind the "Help-Button" within the
app. Final Solution was to mantain the "Help-Content" within the existig
TYPO3-Instance and create an iphone-optimized TS-Template, which
basically "converts" the standard CSS-Styled-Content-Output into
iwebkits dom-structure & nav-items and thus delivers this
"iphone-Feeling". The Help-Button within the app simply uses the
in-app-browser, so the User does not have to leave the app.
Users are happy & Editors can mantain the HELP-FAQ-Section.

regards georg

PS: phonegap.com (OK) + rhomobile.com (preferred) would be two other
options.