[TYPO3-performance] TYPO3 4.4 Backend/JavaScript Performance on IE7/8 on older PCs

Michiel Roos [netcreators] michiel at netcreators.com
Thu Jul 22 10:57:14 CEST 2010

On 7/6/10 12:17 AM, Thomas "Thasmo" Deinhamer wrote:
> Am 02.07.2010 14:37, schrieb Steffen Gebert:
>> Are you really using the 4.4.0 final?
>
> Ye, quite sure so.
>
> Well, the client I'm talking about is a government department (kinda)
> and I think they got really old PCs, slow CPU, little RAM etc.
> (And I really mean OLD!)
>
> In general, should TYPO3 4.4 be faster, slower or the same as 4.3?
> On my development environment (patched 4.2 to 4.3 to 4.4) saving
> records in the backend seem slower. (But that might be NOT JS.)
>
> Saving a text /w image element takes 5 seconds, opening 2 seconds,
> running on a virtual private server - so no standard "web package".
>
> Did the backend change in any way consuming more RAM maybe?
> I think the client's machines are on low RAM and that's maybe
> the reason it takes longer to open records etc. They told me
> it takes 20 seconds sometimes to open/save records. (But I'm
> not quite sure what exactly takes that long - the client just
> told me "it's slow" etc.)
>
> Not sure what to do so, I did a downgrade for now.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

You should checkout the compression of JS which is enabled by default in
4.4 for the backend. Maybe that is what is slowing things down. It
should run only once and then be fine. Can you try disabling that? I
noted on my machine that that was taking a 'little' time on first
requests in the new backend.

It would also be great if you could get some profiling information that
shows what resources are slow to load etc.

Can you get some output from Firebug to try and pinpoint the problem?

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Warm regards,

Michiel Roos
Chief Technical Officer
Netcreators: Open Source, Open Minds, Open People