[TYPO3-performance] TYPO3 4.3 performance

Rupert Germann rupi at gmx.li
Thu May 28 14:30:04 CEST 2009

hi Dan,

Dan Osipov wrote:
> For the first test, were you using DB for cache?

yes

> How many other entries
> were there in cache?

up to ~ 8000 pages (400MB)

> I was looking at the tags field, and it seems that functions like
> flushByTag will take a long time on a large cache.

indeed they do. flushByTag() is doing its job but in a way that I think that
must be a kind of april joke whatever.
first it makes a query to collect the identifiers of that 8000 pages to an
array and then - assumed that the allowed memory size was not yet reached -
it loops through this array making one delete query per indentifier.
Almost as crazy as this:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=11175

> Could a full text
> search index be added to that field to improve performance?

Would only help for the first query that collects the indentifiers. But this
query needs literally no time compared to the other 8000 which are executed
afterwards.

> Has anyone
> tried to use a large cache on memcached?

define: "large cache"

I did some more tests with the same environment:
- using the caching framework for tt_news
- cache everything in APC (cache_page,pagesections, cache_hash and
tt_news_cache)
- cache everything in the filecache
- cache everything in memcached
(I didn't get the globalsCache to work)
and I tried it with several mixed variants. e.g. store pages in memcached,
pagesections in the db, news stuff in its native cache and hashes in APC.

result:
surprisingly the results are quite similar: 200 - 250 requests per second
I expected that the both memory based caches (apc and memcached) should be
significantly faster than mysql or files. But that isn't the case.

until now nothing beats the >300 request per second from the 4.2 branch
without caching framework.

greets
rupert