[TYPO3-Performance] General questions

Mathias Schreiber [TYPO3] mathias at typo3.org
Thu Jul 31 14:05:16 CEST 2008

Luc de Louw schrieb:
> If you have the MySQL Server on a separate server, there is the
> additional overhead of TCP/IP, even with persistent connections. Unix
> sockets are far more efficient than networking, lower latency, less RAM
> needed etc.

I know.
But the problem in our two current cases definetely is Apache/PHP, not
MySQL.
That's why I thought it was interesting that Georg had equal load on
both apache and mysql.

> Maybe you can tweak the network and buy expensive NICs with TCP offload
> engines, that should help a bit keeping the MySQL server more busy.

Ok, maybe I didn't make myself clear enough...
Put Apache & Mysql on one machine... big problem.
Seperate both, still big problem.
Set up 4 Apaches all accessing the same Mysql Server, Problem gone.

Of course it is faster to have Apache and mysql on the same machine
(thats pure logic :)) but I try to identify the common bottleneck.

So I raise my hand and say:
Apache 1
Mysql  0

Georg says