[TYPO3-Performance] General questions

Luc de Louw luc at typo3.org
Thu Jul 31 10:31:34 CEST 2008

Mathias Schreiber [TYPO3] wrote:
> georg kuehnberger schrieb:
>>> 1) Bottleneck
>>>    What do you think is the bottleneck in your installations?
>>>    1.a) Apache Webserver + PHP
>>>    1.b) MySQL Server
>> neigther; but rather the useless ping-pong between php and mysql;
>
> That's interesting.
> We seperated DB and Apache/PHP and while PHP still loads up the server,
> mySQL keeps idleing around at 5% CPU and RAM load.
>
> So I think we will have to take a deeper look at how the servers are
> configured.

If you have the MySQL Server on a separate server, there is the
additional overhead of TCP/IP, even with persistent connections. Unix
sockets are far more efficient than networking, lower latency, less RAM
needed etc.

Maybe you can tweak the network and buy expensive NICs with TCP offload
engines, that should help a bit keeping the MySQL server more busy.

Cheers,

Luc