[TYPO3-Performance] General questions

Mathias Schreiber [TYPO3] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Mon Aug 4 07:53:25 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Mathias Schreiber [TYPO3] wrote:
>> Seperating DB and Apache made one thing quite easy to see...
>> Within a week the DB server and Apaches have exchanged 220GB of data -
>> which is three times the effective traffic of webpages being delivered.
>
> There was a patch from me in the core list to enable compressing for
> such cases. It will save you huge amount of traffic and give a good
> boost of performance. This is the first thing to do.

how exactely does your patch compress mysql related database traffic?
I'm talking about "Hey MySQL Server, gimme the rootline for page ID 14"
or to be more precise... "MySQL, give me parent page of 14, ah, page ID
3, now give me parent page of 3".
Compressing that on a PHP level sounds great, but I never heard of how
to do this.

> Next go to install tool and enable file-based cache for pages. This way
> you will save 1x of web page size and lower traffic even less.

This will do great for pages that require a login...
We are talking about improving performance for pages that cannot be
cached as files.

Best
Mattes