[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.2 which Extensions will still work?

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Mon Jun 10 16:26:57 CEST 2013

Thanks Georg

this is exactly the point. Some of our customer websites have been
developed at times where Joomla Drupal Wordpress and Co were by far not so
far as they are right now and where many other now very interesting CMS
weren't existing.

The customers are asking because of costs who might get involved.

I remember a PDF from a TYPO3 Agency which charged for less functionality
as the WEC Starter Package about 23.000 Euro. Now customers don't want to
pay the same sum again only because they need to get their stuff running on
newer PHP or TYPO3 Versions.

Georg Ringer <mail at ringerge.org> wrote:

> Everyone fully undstands that it is a problem for those who use many
> things which are currently more or less unmaintained. E.g. if your work is
> based on tt_news, tt_products, cal & co you will need a little more love x4
> which can be quite a lot.

Is it worth in continue using the extensions you just mentioned above? I
think no!
So customers need to move to new extensions and transfer all their content.
As most of them are using also TemplaVoila they also would need to change
the way in doing things away from the very editor friendly TYPO3 to a at
most best try fluid extbase one in the best case. Many reasons to have a
look also for other solutions.

i.e. if people are using tt_news and need translations and perhaps a good
publishing solution than one of the best solutions will be ezPublish in the
clouds http://ez.no/eZ-on-Cloud/Open-Source-CMS-CXM-for-the-cloud

ezPublish is secure and very well maintained since years and major playors
like those on TYPO3 build their websites with eZ.

IMHO it is the only major player who would fit into the field in what TYPO3
is doing right now and customers would get a very well supported and
maintained secure CMS http://ez.no/Products/Compare-Editions

Another solution is Drupal. It is getting really good since Version 7 and
it seems as if those TYPO3 companies and geeks who already left TYPO3 to
join Drupal did a good job in bringing in TYPO3 ideas to Drupal.
http://www.drupal8multilingual.org

Security improved drastically, updates are much easier and soon with
Version 8 Mobility will be integrated into Drupal while TYPO3 will still be
far away from this point and at its current state. Integration of social
media and the possibility to create mobile content direct from your CMS
site is some kind of state of the art but missing completely in TYPO3. Even
Joomla has great Mobile and responsive HTML 5 features in its newest
releases. Unfortunately they still have huge problems with security!

Like Kian Gould already pointed out Drupal in his interview with T3N Drupal
seems to make the race and is winning a lot of new customers - I guess many
former TYPO3 ones too. And this said by the TYPO3 Marketing Manager!

> "Drupal hat es geschaft, sich im NGO- und Regierungs-Sektor einen Namen zu
> machen und hier findet auch sehr viel Wachstum statt, ebenso natürlich im
> Community-Bereich. Die meisten großen Drupal-Referenzen sind
> Community-Sites wie beispielsweise die Twitter-Community oder die
> NVIDIA-Developer-Community."

"Drupal has managed to get out to do in the NGO and government sector a
name and here is also a lot of growth instead, just as naturally in the
community area. Most major Drupal references are community sites such as
the Twitter community or the NVIDIA developer community. "

Noch 2010 klang das ganz anders:

> "Ebenso entscheidend ist meiner Meinung nach, dass wir früh das Potenzial
> von TYPO3 erkannt haben: Wir entwickeln es beständig weiter und bieten viel
> mehr als ein reines Web-Content-Management-System – nämlich eine Lösung für
> umfangreiche Online-Applikationen im internationalen Geschäft."

"Just as important in my opinion is that we have recognized the potential
of TYPO3: We constantly develop further and offer much more than just a web
content management system - namely a comprehensive online solution for
applications in international business. "

A look to their website points out the real Power of TYPO3 seems to be
TemplaVoila !

Open source Press meanwhile switched from TYPO3 to webEdition. A System I
never heard before about it but which is = to be honest a great solution
especially because it gets many features already included and simply give
it a try and install it - THIS is a great install tool! Wow! Nice and with
lots of informations! Very easy and you are ready to start.

http://t3n.de/news/webedition-statt-typo3-open-465332/
http://www.opensourcepress.de/de/produkte/buecher/

E-Commerce included!

What should we now tell customers who want to upgrade to 6.* but now are
running TemplaVoila, tt_news, cal, mm_forum and smooth galleria and a shop
based on commerce or tt_products.

They are very happy with the way they can Create their own look of the
website easily using the framework for templavoila. They like tt_news as it
is similar to tt_products. They need multidomain capabilities of those
extensions. Only the forum is needed once. Multilingual is a Must and of
course workspaces which is missing often in other CMS. Some use the iPhone
app to upgrade tt_news content. A switch to TYPO3 6.1 isn't easy at all as
said already and costs might be much much higher than simply transferring
all the content to another modern CMS - Drupal
http://www.srijan.net/resources/modules/typo3-migrate-module/, eZ etc.
Drupal 8 will be even usable on Mobiles while TYPO3 Content Creators
probably can continue dreaming of a TYPO3 Mobile Backend. i.e. Similar to
Craft http://buildwithcraft.com or even better like Barley
http://getbarley.com

Since today we stopped our TV development completely as it does not make
sense at all to sell customers things which they would need to update right
the way to very high costs! Instead we focus on helping customers to find a
good solutions specific to each one is specific and different. I guess
under the current circumstances probably 50% will continue using TYPO3
until the 4.5LTS stops running and others will move on to other Solutions!

Let's see and hope the best! TYPO3 without Templavoila seems to be dying if
not a similar flexible and easy to use alternative will be presented soon.
Sad!

Andi