[TYPO3-english] is TYPO3 moving away from global extensions?

Rudi Meyer rme at systime.dk
Thu Mar 29 12:38:11 CEST 2012

"Global extensions used to be saved in folders inside typo3/ext/, such
as typo3/ext/realurl. In current versions of TYPO3, this location
should no longer be used. Instead, save local extensions in
typo3conf/ext/[Ext-Name]." From
http://wiki.typo3.org/Upgrade#Converting_global_to_local_extensions

Why is using global extensions no longer recommended?

I'm running 400+ TYPO3 websites, in 4-5 different versions of TYPO3.
The websites are similar in configuration and I therefore benefit from
having a "centralized" extension location for each TYPO3 source
(typo3_src-4.x.x/typo3/ext). I've tried to symlink to the central
extension dir from typo3conf/ext for every website, but some
extensions (like dam) can't handle this ($BACK_PATH issues).

Am I missing a point, or a genius way of doing stuff like this?

--
Rudi Meyer
Forlaget Systime