[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 at the corner? How is it possible

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 8 15:00:23 CET 2012

Hi,

On 8-3-2012 13:28, Jacco van der Post wrote:
> Op 8-3-2012 13:15, Jigal van Hemert schreef:
>
>> More nice graphs! Can you please make one of peugeot.com, citroen.com
>> and ferrari.com together? And compare that with the sales figures
>> (number of sold cars) of those brands, please?
>
> Why the lame joke?

No lame joke at all. I'm dead serious. You try to prove with a graph of
the visitor stats of a couple of websites that TYPO3 is less popular
than other CMSs.
I ask you to compare the visitor stats of the websites of three car
manufacturers to see which of them is the most popular.
You'll see that ferrari.com has a few dozen times more visitors than the
other two. We both know that this is not the same as the sales figures
of those brands.

My point is that all these graphs and statistics don't prove what you
want to prove. You can't measure the number of installations by looking
at the visitor statistics of a web site or the search terms of Google.

Joomla for example is often used for small sites; sites built by
volunteers who seek the information on the web site.
TYPO3 sites are often built by agencies / freelancers who know the
product. The larger clients (companies, government bodies) don't care
about the system, they want a working website.

> I didn't mention Wordpress, neither do I think Drupal is meant only for
> simple sites. Neither do I think these graphs are very important.

Why did you twice (!) link to a graph to prove your point? And you are
not the only one who tries to use these graphs and statistics to prove
that things are really bad. In most cases I've seen the basic data is
just incorrect.

TYPO3 is certainly not the right tool for each and every web site. There
are many situations where other solutions are a better fit for the
requirements.

> But there are some critical points in the discussion on Buzz which
> really need some attention.

I agree. On the other hand a lot of responses were off-topic (discussing
T3A budgets for example) or over reacting a "bit" (claiming that TYPO3
would be destroyed).

People who want to improve things (in the broadest sense) are always
welcome to become active. It may take a few attempts to find the right
person(s) and sometimes there will be criticism. But the criticism also
means that those people are passionate about the subject.

It would be nice if those discussions would show a bit of respect for
everybody involved (not accusing you in person!).

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.