[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 at the corner? How is it possible

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Tue Mar 6 10:41:53 CET 2012

Hi,

> Right.. the problem is not technical, but more when it comes to sell
> [some new name] to clients.. If it comes with tools that easies
> migration, this will reduce costs, and client will consider this move
> as an upgrade of his CMS… If no migration tools are provided, then
> moving from TYPO3 to [some new name] will be as painful as moving from
> TYPO3 to any other CMS… So this is where we will potentially loose
> some clients.

My blog post states it clearly, in the history I wrote, we were at some
point with the idea that the "core team" or whatever you call it, would
not provide the migration tool because the structure was totally
different. This is what you found right before the heading "The problem
behind the version 5.0":

> So, while it never was really official, it became clear that the 5th
> point of the Berlin Manifesto would not be met.

And that is a *contextual fact* in the history. Now go on reading until
basically the end of the post, when I evaluated the status regarding the
Berlin Manifesto, for this very bullet point:

> 5) Migration of content from TYPO3 v4 to TYPO3 v5 will be easily
> possible
>
> This is little to not known but the Google Summer of Code (GSoC)
> initiated by the Phoenix team last year will be continued this year.
> Existing result of GSoC 2011 showed that valuable content such as
> pages, content elements and even FCEs from a TYPO3 v4 will be easy to
> migrate to TYPO3 "Phoenix". What will not be easy to migrate are the
> various plugins that one may use in a current TYPO3 website. But as
> said, Extbase-based extensions are said to be relatively easily
> migrated to FLOW3 so we really can expect websites using clean, state-
> of-the-art extensions to be good candidates for a smooth upgrade path
> towards "Phoenix".

So by reading this it's crystal clear that in fact a migration tool
already exists!

My blog post was not an official statement where every single phrase may
be taken out of context, it was a full story of what happened and each
part was contextually related to a timeline. To cut a long story short,
the evaluation of the Berlin Manifesto at the end of the article
describes, again according to my point of view, what the current status is.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6