[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 at the corner? How is it possible

Federico Bernardin typo3list at bernardin.it
Mon Mar 5 14:35:08 CET 2012

Hi Jigal
Il giorno 05/mar/2012, alle ore 13:44, Jigal van Hemert ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> On 5-3-2012 12:46, Markus Lindbergh wrote:
>> I am in TYPO3 world for 4 years now partially as developer, partially
>> as entrepreneur ... and I would really like to hear what is the strategy of
>> core team and all this version v4 / v5 / v6 thing.
>
> It is quite simple and not very dramatic IMO:
>
> - [some new name] (sometimes called "Phoenix" as working name) which was for a long time meant to be "v5" will have a name of its own (for now: [some new name]).
> - [some new name] will be the successor of TYPO3 but because a lot of concepts and features are different it will not be a matter of a simple Upgrade Wizard; it's more something to build a relaunch of a web site with (once [some new name] is a usable CMS)

IMHO Phoenix (or [somenew name]) is built on concept very different from the current. For these reasons TYPO3v4 (or next versions) should continue to be developed regardless of the version based on FLOW3 (it will be [some new name] 1.0).

> - v4 will be called TYPO3 and can use major version numbers again
> - TYPO3 v5.x will be skipped because there are a lot of references to it in various publications of the past years. If we would use it for TYPO3 and not for [some new name] there would be too much confusion.

I think it is wrong to leave a hole in the number of versions. For those unfamiliar with TYPO3 (or very little) is not clear why one version has been omitted. I personally would continue in the version number and the future major release of TYPO3 should be version 5 and not 6.