[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Peter Niederlag typo3-list at niekom.de
Fri May 20 11:20:47 CEST 2011

Hello,

Am 19.05.2011 19:55, schrieb Dmitry Dulepov:
> Hi!
[...]
> The first good thing to do now would be to get some numbers. Two people
> claimed they make Extbase solutions with huge data. It would be good to
> know:

don't know if you wre refering to me but anyway I think I already
claimed that.... ;)

> - how huge is it?

We still lack a true key/description on what we refer to by "huge". ;)

Table has > 1000.000 rows with > 15 columns(in TCA and Model), of course
read/insert/update always affect one ore a handful of rows, so that
probably keeps it from being considered "huge". ;)
export/import is done with plain sql.

I don't really see a use case where the persistance layout of extbase
must handle more than say 100 rows in total. I'd assume that's probably
where problems could start?

Even doctrine has a special chapter on "mass updates" because an ORM
always causes extra overload and IMO for updating masses of data one has
to make special cautions. Not sure about "mass reading" and "mass
insert" as for efficiency I always head for a small footprint (sql) there.

> - are there relations between data types and what kind of relations?

IIRC mostly manually managed relations[1] as this had been done > 1 year
ago where I wasn't brave enough to use them all the way and also have
some special relations using other keys than uid due to imported data.

> - how many page requests does that handle?

not that many, around 3000 page request per hour.

Extbase plugin running as USER_INT, using xcache as accelerator in a
single virtual machine with one cpu(?) and 2 GB RAM!

[...]

Greets,
Peter

[1]
// very much simplified(!) method for resolving a relation
public function getFoobar() {
   $rep = Tx_D_M_rep_Xyz();
   return $rep->findByWhatever($this->protectedProperty)
}
--
Peter Niederlag