[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Thu May 19 19:55:57 CEST 2011

Hi!

(I am a bit afraid of posting this but since I work for TYPO3 and with
TYPO3 for years I think I must say what I think would be best for TYPO3)

Zachary Davis wrote:
> 2. Don't fix these issues and declare ExtBase alpha or beta and think of
> it primarily a FLOW3/DDD teaching tool rather than as an "enterprise"
> framework. The side-effect of this choice is that we're left with piBase
> as a framework for building extensions. Does anyone really want that?
>
> 3. Wait another X number of years while somebody replaces ExtBase and
> piBase with something else.

The first good thing to do now would be to get some numbers. Two people
claimed they make Extbase solutions with huge data. It would be good to know:
- how huge is it?
- are there relations between data types and what kind of relations?
- how many page requests does that handle?

Since Extbase is based on FLOW3, it would be nice to get also FLOW3 numbers.

Only after that it could be definitely said if Extbase can be used in
serious projects. We can discuss it for days, weeks or months but numbers
is the only thing that can put a clear answer to this question.

If we find out that Extbase does not work well under load, we have two
possible solutions. In both cases we will have to acknowledge the fact
first. Next we do one of two things:

Approach 1:
-----------
Declare that Extbase is a nice conceptual extension that can be used for
certain apps but not apps that require load. Than we need to develop
another framework, but we need to develop it differently. There should be a
team of people, who make real web sites and those web sites run under load.
In other words, this work must be done by developers, which has experience
with practical high-load apps. We should make at least one framework with
practical purpose as opposed to a typical academic purpose framework.

Approach 2:
We fix Extbase. Can we fix this or not, I do not know. I am not an Extbase
guru.

In any case, we need to get some facts ASAP. That would clarify a lot.

--
Dmitry "itoldyou" Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member
E-mail: dmitry.dulepov at typo3.org