[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Thu May 19 14:58:30 CEST 2011

Am 19.05.11 14:44, schrieb Franz Koch:

> I only can speak for myself, but I think the whole Extbase team in
> general doesn't have much (to none) experience with such enterprise
> level solutions - so how should we take care of the requirements for
> those?

Well, we came up with this on T3DD09 when we pointed out design flaws
and performance issues.
Unfourtunately, the only way to get heard is to supply patches.
Strategic help is not wanted (don't ask me why).

> Why doesn't anyone having that knowledge and getting big rewards
> for those enterprise solutions join the team then?

See above.

> I personally joined the team because I like developing with Extbase and
> like to give something back, although I'm no studied coder and only have
> self-educated coding "skills". I'm eager to learn new concepts, am
> willing to share the knowledge I gained so far and try to help others as
> much as I can if time allows.

Well, like Dmitry states in his other posts... you'd need to do
drastical changes to the architecture.
Something which is kind of tricky with something labeled "stable".

> Reading about bugfixes and patch requests not beeing applied is of
> course sad to hear, but as stated before we're drastically lacking man
> power here and the switch to Gerrit didn't help here either (I'm
> personally still not used to it). Currently we're all trapped by either
> our jobs or other projects, so any help is highly welcome.

Well, I give the extbase team a break here because the term "bugfix" may
be defined differently.
What fixes issue A might break something else.
I had a hard time getting through the extbase code and found it to be
fragile at best.

cheers
mathias
--
Ernesto, Nov. 9th 2010:
"In the graphics generation routines of TYPO3 *anything* could cause a