[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu May 19 13:21:10 CEST 2011

Am 19.05.2011 13:12, schrieb JoH asenau:
>> I mean... I'm cool with a statement like "extbase is nice, it will speed
>> up your development a lot, but please be careful when using it in
>> scenarios A, B or C".
>> Nothing wrong with it, is it?
>
> Actually this is the only problem I got with ExtBase and FLOW3 so far.
> If you cut off the "Enterprise" flag, the marketing people have been
> waiving heavily during the last years, it would work out just fine.
>
> If you told people: "TYPO3 will be a CMS using DDD technologies for
> small to mid size websites with an average complexity" everything would
> be fine.
>
> We could even go on fixing some of the bugs in ExtBase and FLOW, since
> we still could live with the overall concept behind it.
>
> But actually the problem we have to face is, that people are told:
> "TYPO3 is an enterprise CMS which is NOT aiming for the average user but
> for larger projects only" - (at least this is what I have been told by
> different T3A official at the last events I have attended)
>
> In this case it would be not

Did I mention that I start hating Thunderbird?

In this case it would be not enough to just fix some bugs in the code,
since the actual bug would be the concept then. And this is why it
doesn't make too much sense, if people are asked to help you with bug
fixing.

As long as you keep on claiming to be playing in the enterprise league
of CMSs you will have to deliver something that will primarily focus on
performance and scalability instead of speed of development. Reason:
Nobody will care about the time developers will spend to create a new
extensions, when people just can't use the system these extensions will
be made for.

So if you want to go on waving this flag, you will have to kick the
whole concept and do something new from scratch. And if this will
perform and scale well for the enterprise user, it probably won't be too
bad for the small to mid size users as well.

If you want to keep the current concept, you should not expect too many
new developers to help out, since those who already found out the draw
backs of this concept obviously won't spend their time just fixing bugs
in the code.

Just my 2 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian