[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Wed May 18 16:03:36 CEST 2011

Am 18.05.11 15:53, schrieb Bastian Waidelich:

> I don't agree, a lot of people (including me) are successfully using
> Extbase in productive projects. Some even with huge data sets, as we
> know from the use cases we collected for T3CON10.

That's good news.
Could you be a bit more precise on the term "huge"?
I really really mean no offense, but in the last couple of years "huge"
turned out to be quite different for a lot of people.
300.000 records + attached relations for example is where "huge" start
for me.

> I consider most of the parts stable and fast enough to use it
> productively *if the requirements fit the approach*. But there are
> certainly parts that are not (e.g. FE editing is problematic with lots
> of (complex) records).

Is there a wiki that names these?
I think this would make it much easier for people who evaluate their
projects to make a safe descision.
Apart from that:
How much % increase in RAM usage would you say is ok compared to using
piBase (I know, hard to tell, since extbase does much more, but just a
ball-out-quote would be nice).
Right now I experience something between 250-10000% more RAM usage.

> That's why I like the idea of documenting, what kind of projects Extbase
> is good at and where the weak spots are.

Full ack.

> BTW: I fully agree with Sebastians posting and I'm happy to read some
> constructive feedback!

Well, for starters I don't really have time to set up a testing SQL
monitor today but Dan stated this:
"Setup a simple domain model for authors and books. An author may have
written many books, and books may have multiple authors, requiring a
many-to-many relationship between books and authors. Now add a book to
the list of books by an author and persist the changes. Guess what
happens? Right: First of all, the list of associated books is deleted in
the database. Then a new list (including the new book) is written to the
database."

Is this true?
if not... never mind...
If so... who approves something like this?

--
Ernesto, Nov. 9th 2010:
"In the graphics generation routines of TYPO3 *anything* could cause a