[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Wed May 18 14:27:34 CEST 2011

Hi,

>> Who marked it "stable" then?
>
> The owners of extbase back then ...

Because back then the Core team decided (IIRC) that system extensions
should all be stable to be distributed along with Core.

At that point of time it was considered stable enough to be used. The
main problem I see is not really backward compatibility (even if I agree
this should be the case to most extent with stable versions and use
deprecation if not possible) but much more than bugs announced for
version X (1.0 for instance) started to be tackled with with e.g.,
version 1.1 and perhaps only got committed with 1.2 but not to older
versions meaning you always have to run the latest version of Extbase
(and thus TYPO3) to have a chance to get a "stable" version of the
framework you use for your extensions.

Hopefully this should have changed with the release of TYPO3 4.5 LTS and
patches should be backported to this version too.

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!