[TYPO3-dev] Announce: Released enetcache to forge

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Mon Nov 30 12:29:09 CET 2009

Hey Krystian,

Krystian Szymukowicz wrote:
> Christian Kuhn wrote:
>> we just released the new cache engine extension "enetcache" based on
>> the new 4.3 caching framework to forge. enetcache provides an API for
>> frontent plugins to realize caching on plugin content element level.

> Few questions:
> 1. Do you have a tt_news 3.0.0. that use enetcache? Can you provide a
> patch against tt_news 3.0.0. It would be great to test it on a real case :)

No, unfortunately we didn't use tt_news 3.0.0 so far. For an own project
we wrote a wrapper extension to tt_news 2.5.2 that does a lot more
things. This extension uses enetcache and handles tt_news as a black box
(we had nearly no code change in tt_news). In fact its pretty easy to
set up such a wrapper ext, the interface that comes with enetcache helps
a bit here, too.

> 2. Which one of existing ext. did you change to work with enetcache?

- We wrote a simple wrapper to vge_tagcloud (mentioned in docu as
example code) that doesn't need any code change. The wrapper itself is
code wise simple to trivial.
- We wrote a wrapper to wec_map that just needed a trivial hack in
wec_map to get it right (also as example in the manual).
- Furthermore we set up several own, project based extensions that use
enetcache without wrappers.

> I think a good, commonly used extension that would gain a lot could be
> DAM. Right now if user change fe. "title" of the image in DAM then this
> change is not automatically reflected in frontend. The dirty solution it
> to flush the cache for all pages which is such a waste of resources. If
> every single use of image in the frontend would be tagged this could
> solve this problem and with your extension this seems to be a quite easy
> task.

Yes, thats a common use case. Give it a shot, it's not too difficult!

> 3. What is the roadmap? Do you have any plans?

- Small diff for the core to realize an extended insert in the db api,
to many tags at once with dbBackend. Unfortunatly something like that
was not ready for 4.3.
- We will experiment with a new cache backend, more information if the
idea proves to be working.
- enetcacheanalytics needs some cleanups and a menual.
- Hope for feedback to prove usefulness of enetcache, handle issues,
bugs and ideas.
- Release to TER soon.

Regards
Christian