[TYPO3-dev] Announce: Released enetcache to forge

Krystian Szymukowicz t33k.RE.MO.VE at RE.MO.VE.prolabium.com
Mon Nov 30 12:04:14 CET 2009

Christian Kuhn wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> we just released the new cache engine extension "enetcache" based on the
> new 4.3 caching framework to forge. enetcache provides an API for
> frontent plugins to realize caching on plugin content element level.
>
> Summary of features:
> - API for frontend plugins to easily get, set and drop entries in the
> cache engine. The usual TYPO3 page cache is handled transparently by
> enetcache internally.
> - Flexible lifetime handling of cache entries.
> - Plugin element content can be re-used on different pages.
> - Mostly automagic clearing of dirty cache entries if records have been
> changed in the backend.
> - Hooks into “Clear all cache” to enable administrators to manually
> clear content element caches together with the regular page cache.
> - Provides a scheduler task to do a garbage collection of old entries
> for cache backends that don't that automatically (like dbBackend).
> - Provides hooks in it's main frontend class to allow other extensions
> to manipulate the cache handling. This is used by ext:enetcacheanalytics
> which comes with a fine grained backend module for debugging and
> tracking cache actions.
>
> It's the first upload of this extension to forge, but we think the code
> base is already in a pretty good state. The extension comes with a
> extensive manual, check it out!
>
> The second extension "enetcacheanalytics" helps debugging enetcache. It
> hooks into enetcache and comes with a BE module to visualize what is
> going on in the engine. It's code base is still a bit rough and misses a
> manual. The extension is however easy to install and pretty much self
> self-explanatory. You should instantly get a feeling of how much time
> your plugins require to calculate and how much time could be saved using
> enetcache.
>
> We are happy about feedback!

Cool one! A missing part of overall caching system in TYPO3.

Few questions:
1. Do you have a tt_news 3.0.0. that use enetcache? Can you provide a
patch against tt_news 3.0.0. It would be great to test it on a real case :)

2. Which one of existing ext. did you change to work with enetcache?

I think a good, commonly used extension that would gain a lot could be
DAM. Right now if user change fe. "title" of the image in DAM then this
change is not automatically reflected in frontend. The dirty solution it
to flush the cache for all pages which is such a waste of resources. If
every single use of image in the frontend would be tagged this could
solve this problem and with your extension this seems to be a quite easy
task.

3. What is the roadmap? Do you have any plans?

--
grtz
Krystian Szymukowicz