[TYPO3-dev] Ideas solving the bloated TER problem?

Stig Nørgaard Færch snf at dkm.dk
Thu Nov 12 18:46:05 CET 2009

Dmitry Dulepov skrev:
> Hi!
>
> I have a comment only on one point:
>
> Stig Nørgaard Færch wrote:
>> TYPO3 companies should manage key extensions of TYPO3.
>
> Who said that TYPO3 companies are better? :) I saw lots of awful extensions made by TYPO3 agencies and had to fix absolutely stupid issues in them. Being an agency does not mean or guarantee having good developers or producing quality extensions. It only mean having more resources than a single freelancer. Bad developers in a company can survive for ages, one bad single freelancer will never survive...

I agree with you. A TYPO3 agency isn't any better than the developers
they hired.

> Forget this idea. If there is a bright individual, who works on the extension, leave him alone. :)

I agree with you again, but let's just wait a bit tossing this idea away
completely :-)
Of course it doesn't make any sense if the Association hijacks a key
extension which is currently developed nice and actively
Example:
* cal - Mario Matzulla is currently doing a great job (together with WEC
i guess)

But there are some extensions which are so important, that it's hard to
live with stalling development.
Examples:
* tt_news - development seems to have been stalled for some time now.
* felogin - important key extension which imho needs more attention.

And there are also old/new projects which needs good resource and
management foundation
* SCOTTY - a great new project. I just hope that it is backed by good
management/resources.
* The Party Framework - What went wrong here? I'm sure that project
would have been benefitting of good management/resources.
* Gallery Framework - my imaginary flexible gallery extension which is
able of what 80% of the current more than 30 gallery extensions.

To already existing extensions, it should be an offer, not something
which is forced upon the specific extension. Of course if a stalled
extension is too important, a new branch could be developed under
another extension key/name.

Maybe Rupert Germann would be reliefed if the TYPO3 Association asked
him if they should find an agency to manage and develop tt_news further?

Of course something has to be in it for the agency - else it doesn't
make much sense(exposure - could be logo exposure). And also the
agency's reputation should be on stake. If the agency takes the job, and
doesn't do a good job, it's their prestige that hurts. So it should be
visible whoose got which extension. There could be a list on TYPO3.org
with the official managed extensions, with quarterly reports from the
agency, and the possibility to comment and rate the efforts of the agency.

Just ideas from the top of my head.