[TYPO3-dev] Over 2Million images rendering using GIFBUILDER (but not all at once...)

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Sat Nov 7 03:09:48 CET 2009

On Nov 6, 2009, at 8:15 PM, Bernhard Kraft wrote:

> Steffen Ritter schrieb:
>

>>> 1) It created sub directories for 3 levels
>>> 2) it increases the length of the generated md5 to 16 characters.
>>>

>> Could you please send this as a RFC for 4.4?
>
> I read your request on IRC also. I think it would be a good idea to
> allow
> the GIFBUILDER to create additional subdirectories, to not overload
> one single
> directory with a massive amount of images.
>
> But I think it should be configurable if it uses 0, 1, 2 or 3
> levels. Not
> everybody would need this, and it could get annoying to dive 3
> levels into
> the directory structure to do a "display 3215215123512dfsd.png" if
> you want
> to check some generated images for debugging purposes, etc.
>
> increasing the general length of generated image-names to 16
> characters or
> even full 32 char md5 is a good idea. It would probably even make
> sense to
> add some type of "collision detection". When a filename is already
> used, it
> does md5() a second (or probably even third and fourth time) until
> it finds
> a "free" filename.
>
> This wont happen often when having 16^16 possibilities for the the
> file name.
> But it should be taken into account.
>
> Probably the lenght should also be configurable via a
> TYPO3_CONF_VARS. I think
> it is not a must, this variable is configurable via the Install
> Tool. But if
> it is it would already be documented at this place.
>

> greets,
> Bernhard

Hey Bernhard,

I remember there was some talk last year (2 years ago??) in this area
but I didn't knew (and couldn't find)
if anything was implemented, that's why I hailed you :)

I agree with your suggestions about to make it configurable and that
would be nice for others aswel.

My current solution uses a less ideal XLASS around t3lib_stdgraphics
and tslib_gifbuilder
and so far this seems to do the job.
Both the GB/ folder and the pics/ folder now uses sub-dirs to create
there file names.

For a RFC however it would be required to change the original file and
this
seems quite trivial.

If any core dev is interested then they can mail me and I will help
making making the
patch including the install tool.

Regards,
Ries van Twisk