[TYPO3-dev] Over 2Million images rendering using GIFBUILDER (but not all at once...)

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Sat Nov 7 02:15:12 CET 2009

Steffen Ritter schrieb:

>> 1) It created sub directories for 3 levels
>> 2) it increases the length of the generated md5 to 16 characters.
>>

> Could you please send this as a RFC for 4.4?

I read your request on IRC also. I think it would be a good idea to allow
the GIFBUILDER to create additional subdirectories, to not overload one single
directory with a massive amount of images.

But I think it should be configurable if it uses 0, 1, 2 or 3 levels. Not
everybody would need this, and it could get annoying to dive 3 levels into
the directory structure to do a "display 3215215123512dfsd.png" if you want
to check some generated images for debugging purposes, etc.

increasing the general length of generated image-names to 16 characters or
even full 32 char md5 is a good idea. It would probably even make sense to
add some type of "collision detection". When a filename is already used, it
does md5() a second (or probably even third and fourth time) until it finds
a "free" filename.

This wont happen often when having 16^16 possibilities for the the file name.
But it should be taken into account.

Probably the lenght should also be configurable via a TYPO3_CONF_VARS. I think
it is not a must, this variable is configurable via the Install Tool. But if
it is it would already be documented at this place.

greets,
Bernhard