[TYPO3-dev] SCOTTY - Global *S*emantic *C*ategory, *O*ntology, *T*ag and *T*axonomy S*y*stem

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Fri Nov 6 14:10:11 CET 2009

>>> Don't expect too much content there, but maybe you can already join
>>> the
>>> team, write some wishes to the wiki or do other stuff, that shows
>>> there is a
>>> real demand for this feature and there are people who are willing
>>> to *work
>>> in this team do get the job done just in time*. I will offer parts
>>> of the
>>> tagpack as a base we can start with, and maybe there are other
>>> extensions as
>>> well, we should consider as candidates for integration or adoption
>>> of interesting features.
>>>

>> There are a few categorie extensions out there in forge. I know
>> tagpack
>> already ships similar functionality, but it would be great to have a
>> "real" category tree in the backend with parent and child records.
>

> The real problem with categories is that more often then not
> real life objects cannot put in categories as simple is putting them
> in a tree.
> Often there is a need to look into a products location from
> different angles.

This is why SCOTTY will offer different ways to relate items with terms and
other items.
If a category tree doesn't fit your needs, you might want to try tagging
instead or even go for a complex ontology.
In any case it will be about relations between terms and/or items.

> I think this is the reason why not so many extensions/tools exist that
> do this well,
> simple because it looks like that categorization is often a need/
> requirement specific
> to the application, not easily done in a universal way

I didn't say it will be easy - but I am very confident that it can be done.

Yes we can ;-)

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de