[TYPO3-dev] RFC: Bug #6885 - Nested USER_INT, COA_INT, etc. objects are not rendered

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Dec 4 20:58:55 CET 2007

Oliver Hader wrote: on 04.12.2007 20:34:
> Hi,
>
> Oliver Hader schrieb:
>> something like this wasn't possible:
>>   6 = COA_INT
>>   6 {
>>     10 = TEXT
>>     10.value = FIRST,
>>     20 = COA_INT
>>     20 {
>>       10 = TEXT
>>       10.value = SECOND,
>>       20 = COA_INT
>>       20 {
>>         10 = TEXT
>>         10.value = THIRD,
>>       }
>>     }
>>   }
>>
>> Please look at http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=6885 and give me some
>> feedback. Thanks in advance for any "pre-review".
>
> Just some annotations for those thinking that the example like shown
> above doesn't make any sense: You're right, it doesn't! :)
>
> Just a small use case:
> * website with same content in the border column (colPos=3) on each page
> * thus, own user caching for this column because editing one of this CEs
> would result in cleaning the whole cache
>
> 10 = USER_INT
> 10 {
>   userFunc = tx_cacheext_pi1->main
>   # renderObj could also be tt_content, COA just as example
>   renderObj = COA
>   renderObj {
>     10 = USER
>     10.userFunc = tx_myfirstext_pi1
>     20 = USER
>     20.userFunc = tx_mysecondext_pi1
>     30 = USER_INT
>     30.userFunc = tx_mythirdext_pi1
>   }
> }
>
> I hope this helps when you're thinking about this... ;)

Wouldn't it make sense to just make the "last level" USER_INT's and
leave the "hierarchy above" USER? After all the "USER" objects in
between won't ever be able to "cache" anyway. I agree that this might
need more configuration and won't probably work "out of the box" because
you have to configure the whole TypoScript tree. But still doable...

With your change an USER object might be uncached in certain situations
and this might be confusing. But I agree that even more confusing is
that nested USER_INTs won't do anything.

Anyway, I will wait for more comments on that one to give a final
opinion. :)

Cheers,
Ernesto