[TYPO3-about] Anti-harrasment policy for our events?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon Jan 28 14:31:57 CET 2013

Hi,

On 28-1-2013 10:21, Philipp Gampe wrote:
> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> Read some mailing lists and blogs...
> Trust me ... I do ;)

And you still don't notice the intolerance? :-/

>>> I am discussing gender topics for over a year now (starting with the
>>> "Frauenquote"), but I never - never have found a valid claim.
>> I don't know about the German news, but I see a lot of articles where
>> the facts show that there are a lot of issues out there.
>
> While looking into those "facts", you quickly figure out that most are the
> result of misinterpreted statistics - quite often if people run into the
> Simpson's paradox without knowing it (or even without knowing statistics at
> all).

I'm not thinking about statistics, opinions or results from research;
statistics are a mine field and the desire to 'invent' causal
conclusions from statistical data is also questionable.
I was thinking about simple incidents that occur and the public response
to those incidents. If intolerance happens against any group, is that
generally considered "normal" or are people upset.

You may not consider this valid or scientific (the label "scientific"
doesn't have a very positive value lately), but it shows which issues
occur and if these are considered problematic.

>>> Please do not try to fix a theoretical problem that most likely does not
>>> exists.
>>
>> It's not about fixing something. A lot of things are done to prevent
>> things from happening or to create a certain environment. You don't buy
>> fire extinguishers only after you had a fire.
>
> Good point, but does not really apply here. You wouldn't keep a boat on your
> roof to be able to escape the flood.

If there is a real chance for a flood that would be a wise thing to do,
even if there haven't been any or many floods in your area.

> Usually insulting behavior is done without caring about "policies".

The policy will not prevent insulting behaviour but it will help in a
few areas:
- victims will find it easier to report because they know that the
organisers do not accept it
- if the consequences are listed it is easier to do something about the
incident

> And why shouldn't there be any flirting at a TYPO3 event?

It really depends on what you define as flirting. Some people think that
their behaviour is just flirting, while the people they try to flirt
with feel very uncomfortable at least.
The policy will not mean that if you wink an eye you will be forcefully
removed from the event.
If someone feels hurt by someone else's behaviour he/she should feel
safe to approach the organizers and know that they will help to solve
the situation.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member