[TYPO3-about] Anti-harrasment policy for our events?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sun Jan 6 11:39:38 CET 2013

Hi,

On 5-1-2013 2:01, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> I'm fine with that of course, and I don't think anybody is against such
> a statement. The question is just if it is explicitly "needed", if it
> really helps for a certain thing and if we're not starting discussions
> to solve problems that don't really exist in the TYPO3-universe (to my
> knowledge, of course).

Being nice is something that most of us assume to be normal. If you want
to use a piece of software someone else made, you ask for it politely.

It happens from time to time in any group of people that things are
either misunderstood, miscommunicated or that someone really has the
wrong intentions. Therefore it's wise to create rules and policies for
circumstances which might not have occurred. The advantages are diverse:
- it provides answers to questions which might be asked (e.g. the
software license for TYPO3)
- it shows that the community has thought about values and behaviour
- it makes it easier for "victims" (the most neutral meaning of the
word) to get the problem solved, knowing how to act and knowing that
they don't have to fight against something/someone
- it creates awareness amongst those who mean good and can prevent some
simple mistakes

Maybe it can have a place in the general code of conduct for the entire
community and not only for events.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member