[TYPO3-about] Anti-harrasment policy for our events?

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Fri Jan 4 01:52:27 CET 2013

Hi Tolleiv,

Tolleiv Nietsch wrote:

> Looking back at the TYPO3 conferences and events I've attended in the
> past - I'm not sure whether our events had such extreme harrasments or
> anything, but due to the fact that our community consists to >90% of
> white european males, I assume that we're not perfect in that regard.

I do not think that the TYPO3 community had any harassment problems in the
past nor do I see that we will have problems in the future.

Looking at the list of incidents (your 7), most of them are constructed ...
the few remaining real incidents are much below the statistically expected
amount.
If we take this list for granted and well researched (which I do not think
it is), then we must conclude that tech conferences are a nice place for
woman.
Also note that this list includes mostly US events. European events usually
have less problems of this kind. Part of this reason is proper sexual
education and a much lower alcohol age. Consider that some US people are at
least three years behind compare to same-age Europeans.

If some comes up with real problems (persons or incidents) than I am happy
to work out solutions. But I do not think that we need to create solutions
to problems that do not exits.
Looking into many similar discussions recently, I think that the majority of
the so called "problems" are really persons that just want attention.
It is not that women would be rapped or grabbed, but they are offended even
if men talk about them or look at them.
There is a limit of course, but an attractive women must learn to deal with
men watching. An attractive men has the same problem (and it is even worse)
if he goes to an event with a majority of woman.

If there are real problems, then the organizer (or staff) of the event can
exclude the offender from the event.

Please also read the post (german) form Fefe about that topic at 29C3:
http://blog.fefe.de/?ts=ae1a50a0
Please also mind the updates, especially comment about the Chinese whispers
(telephone game) inside an echo chamber.

You might also want to read the blog post of Hadmut Danisch (german) who
lately blogged much about Gender, Feminism, etc:
http://www.danisch.de/blog/
Notable, especially the discussions:
http://www.danisch.de/blog/2012/12/28/die-ccc29c3-peinlichkeit-britta-
schinzel/
http://www.danisch.de/blog/2012/12/30/uber-die-lacherlichkeit-des-
bundesverfassungsgerichts/

IMHO there is not need for actions as long as there are no problems. The
amount of racism and harassment is much below the statistical average of
such a large group of persons and the staff can always exclude people if
they make trouble. On top of that, we have enough women in the stuff to have
a large base of possible person who may be contacted in case a woman can not
deal with the situation by herself.

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!