[Neos] The future of Neos - Insights for integrators?

Dmitri Pisarev dimaip at gmail.com
Wed May 20 08:28:29 CEST 2015

Regarding the features, I think all you were waiting for is already in 2.0.

>  the common workflow in Neos is to extend the Neos basic nodes and bloat
up the core to your needs, so it could easily end up in repetitive work
from project to project

Absolutely not! You can create your own packages and push them to
packagist, and then share them across the projects. In addition to special
packages, I've created my personal package with the code and settings I'll
likely share across all installations. Don't see how is that different from
TYPO3 here (except for pacagist/github is a much nicer way to maintain a
package then TER).
And you don't have to extend any nodes at all and start from scratch: all
base Neos nodetypes are in separate package (TYPO3.Neos.NodeTypes) and can
be removed.

> The common way in CMS (in case of using extbase) is to write your own
model with its own methods, views, helpers, services and persistence to add
some feature to CMS. There is no "node", that makes - even if not intended
- most CMS projects very domain specialized. If CMS lacks a feature i write
a package which i can develop separately and use it in other projects with
the same domain/purpose.

You packages can use the full power of Flow (>>Extbase), have their own
model etc, and many packages do just that. You can also query CR from your
PHP code.
But TypoScript, CR and Flow go very well together. I know people use them
in Flow projects without Neos. And I don't think that if you store data in
CR it's any less "domain specialized", in my experience it ends up even
better specialized as it's much easier to change domain structure.

> A migration documentation for integrators, to really get started with
common real world applications and exampleds, would be a big help i think.
Is there something like this?

Don't think so. If you get to like Neos, you can write one :)
But indeed, there's not much knowledge to transfer from TYPO3, except of
Extbase, so it's more like a fresh start.

> Will the day come when we SHOULD chose Neos over CMS? When CMS will be
legacy and more effort is put into Neos?

Definitely this day will never come now, though that was the original plan
a decade ago. TYPO3 will continue to be developed, so if you like it and
don't feel the need to try anything new, you can just use it and forget all
you had heard about Neos :)
But I tried Neos and fell in love, now I just can't go back to working on
TYPO3 projects (though I had 9 years of experience with it).