[Neos] The future of Neos - Insights for integrators?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue May 19 19:25:09 CEST 2015

Hi,

A small reply from "the other side".

On 19/05/2015 13:46, Philipp Wrann wrote:
> But to go back to the very question of this thread: Will the day come
> when we SHOULD chose Neos over CMS? When CMS will be legacy and more
> effort is put into Neos?

Unless you can predict the future there is no way of knowing what the
situation will be in the years to come. Currently all we know is that
Neos will go its own way, with its own developers, plans and community.
Neos is (or will shortly be) a separate product like TYPO3 and other CMSs.

The code base of TYPO3 has been modernized in quite a few ways, complex
parts are being rewritten and new features are introduced. Development
of TYPO3 is faster than ever before; there are currently no signs that
it will become "legacy" any time soon.

We will have to see how the market develops. As long as there is
interest in systems like TYPO3 and Neos there will be developers who
will work on the code. This is equally true for any other software product.

> I would like to start with Neos but not if its not clear that Neos will
> "take over".

You can start with Neos if you like the system, but equally well you can
stay with TYPO3 or start with Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla or another system.
Neos is not the successor of TYPO3. I'm not anti-Neos or pro-TYPO3, but
you should from now on see them as independent products. The choice is
yours.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor