[Neos] [Neos 1.2] Installation problem: are virtual hosts necessary?

David Cumberbeach typo3.newsgroup at cumberbeach.com
Mon Jan 5 04:18:53 CET 2015

On 5/01/2015 8:57 AM, Philipp Gampe wrote:
> Hi Jim Heckler,
>
> Jim Heckler wrote:
>
>> I'm having an issue installing Neos 1.2 on a remote server. I don't have
>> direct access to the server configuration files and have been told by the
>> sysop that any changes made to the httpd file will be overwritten by
>> cPanel, which is running on that server. Thus, I don't think I have any
>> way to set up a virtual host on this server. Is this absolutely necessary
>> and might there be a work around?
> You can setup a virtual host via cPanel. Just add a new domain or subdomain.

That could be a workaround for cPanel, but the use of virtual hosts is
still a problem on other systems. Can Neos be setup without virtual hosts?
I ran into a problem with setup on HSphere based shared hosting. HSphere
creates a new web root folder for every hosted domain (eg.
"mydomain.com"), and it's impossible to setup a virtual host pointing to
a sub-folder such as "web". I ended up abandoning Neos and returning to
TYPO3 CMS because I couldn't find a workaround.