[Neos] [RFC] Image Handling

Christian Müller christian.mueller at typo3.org
Sun Feb 8 00:03:49 CET 2015

Hi all,

after working on SVG support for Neos
(see: https://review.typo3.org/#/q/status:open+topic:svg-support)

I ask myself how we can improve on that. For SVG crop and resize do not
make much sense (IMHO) and that the change only supports SVG with
IMagick is because it can generate a thumbnail for it. But in fact we
wouldn't even need that, because we could use the original SVG for
preview if needed. BUT the main problem here is that Images rely on
having a size for a lot of things.
Lets summarize a few things that I think would be good:

- Support all image formats a browser can display, regardless if our
image library does.
- In case we have an image that is not supported, use original (or
icon) for preview and disable resize and crop controls in Inspector

To make this happen we need to take care of the size issue as we cannot
know the image size for non supported file types.
My proosal would be to give the those images a 0,0 or negative size
(-1,-1) and adjust all code to act accordingly if that is found.

Additionally I would like to prevent images that have no adjustments or
adjustments that do not change anything to undergo image modification
at all. Currently the ImageService will create a manipulated image
version still...
(WARNING to myself, I think that brings problems with ImageVariants
that effectively should have the same resource as the original because
of the OneToOne relation).

Cheers,
Christian

--