[Neos] General Neos performance experience

Cedric Ziel cedric at cedric-ziel.com
Fri Sep 26 14:04:46 CEST 2014

  Hi there;

You experience a fair mix of both evented I/O with nginx which has a very
low memory footprint itself.
Result: nginx can handle a lot more connections simultaneously. Those are
paused until the backend (fpm) is able to handle them. The combination
nginx+fpm is especially interesting as the php processes are not as heavy
as one request in a apache is. The webserver process is isolated from the
fastcgi. -> Less resources needed while being able to handle more
connections.

While Lienhart gave a possible indicator why apache is slower, i gave some
indicators why nginx may be faster.

As always your milage may vary heavily. In standard nginx configuration,
there's no dynamic config possible through .htaccess for example.

On the other hand, if you take a current Apache (which is 2.4 and not 2.2),
your experience will be better. The more modules you turn off in apache,
the faster it will be (apache modules are loaded dynamically on most
distributions).
In 2.4, apache allows using mpm_event (which is beta in 2.2,
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/event.html). This should give you a
massive boost when using fpm with Apache (which you should), as no heavy
forking is neccessary compared to mpm_worker or mpm_prefork. In mpm_event,
the very same eventloop concept is used as in nginx.

Using the webserver as a "simple reverse proxy" (to keep it easy) to your
app/fpm results in massive benefits. Apache and nginx are both fantastic
products and while Apache is an old one as well, it's very versatile and
can be used in the same way nginx is. If you therefore know all the
requirements to your webserver, choose the product that serves the requests
based on that requirements. If you only need a PHP interpreter to server
your NEOS, nginx may be the better option as it's a single threaded binary
without dynamic modules. You wont be tempted to load modules you dont need.

Cheers,
Cedric