[Neos] General Neos performance experience

Lienhart Woitok Lienhart.Woitok at netlogix.de
Fri Sep 26 13:38:23 CEST 2014

Hi Torben,

you are testing with a concurrency setting of 100. This means, ab makes 100 simultaneous requests
to the web server. While FPM as far as I know is by default configured with a sane setting for
the maximum number of processes, apache is probably not. What therefore probably happens is that
apache starts about 100 PHP processes with up to 128MB of RAM each (of which Neos uses quite a bit).
Therefore, the server probably starts swapping quite heavily, and then everything starts to get slow.
FPM in default configuration starts probably something in the magnitude of 10 or 15 processes, which
is well within the limits of the server. Therefore you get a much better result out of it.

I would have expected nginx+FPM to be slightly faster than apache+mod_php, but not by a factor of 4-5,
more in the magnitude of 0.5 to 2 requests per second.

If you configure your apache to only accept a manageable amount of concurrent clients, you should get
better results of it. Please be aware that if you do that you also restrict the number of requests to
static resources, which is not desirable. Therefore I tend to discourage the use of mod_php in production
environments.

Alternatively you can run ab with a concurrency of 10 or 15 which should also not overwhelm your server
in your current configuration.

I hope this sheds a bit of light on your experiences.

Regards
Lienhart

Lienhart Woitok
Web-Entwickler

Telefon: +49 (911) 539909 - 0
E-Mail: Lienhart.Woitok at netlogix.de
Website: media.netlogix.de

----------------------------
netlogix MobileDay: 4 Hersteller, 4 Lösungen, 1 Thema
Erfahren Sie, welche Lösung im Mobile Device Management für Sie die richtige ist. Jetzt anmelden:
http://it-training.netlogix.de/leistungen-angebote/events/netlogix-mobileday

netlogix auf der it-sa 2014:
Jetzt anmelden zum kostenlosen Mobile Device Management-Check
MDM-Check buchen oder Freikarten beanspruchen: http://it-services.netlogix.de/it-sa-2014

netlogix GmbH & Co. KG
IT-Services | IT-Training | Media
Neuwieder Straße 10 | 90411 Nürnberg
Telefon: +49 (911) 539909 - 0 | Fax: +49 (911) 539909 - 99
E-Mail: info at netlogix.de | Internet: http://www.netlogix.de

netlogix GmbH & Co. KG ist eingetragen am Amtsgericht Nürnberg (HRA 13338)
Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin: netlogix Verwaltungs GmbH (HRB 20634)
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 233472254
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Buchta, Matthias Schmidt