[Neos] General Neos performance experience

Torben Hansen derhansen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 12:24:07 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I've been testing a while with TYPO3 Neos (1.1.2) and made some tests regarding webserver setup and Neos performance.

I installed 2 servers (on a VMWare ESXi cluster) in my local test environment and configured them as following.

Server 1

- Debian 7.5
- 2 GB RAM
- 2 CPUs (Intel Xeon E5335 @ 2.0 GHz)
- Apache 2.2 (default package)
- PHP 5.4 as mod_php (default package) with 128 MB memory limit
- PHP APC (default package) with 128 MB memory

Server 2

- Debian 7.5
- 2 GB RAM
- 2 CPUs (Intel Xeon E5335 @ 2.0 GHz)
- Nginx 1.2.1 (default package)
- PHP-FPM 5.4 (default package) with 128 MB memory limit
- PHP APC (default package) with 128 MB memory

On each server I created a virtual host with a local Neos installation (NeosDemoTypo3Org Package). The context of the Neos installations is configured to "Production"

Then I'll perform some performance test with Apache Bench like shown below.

ab -c 100 -n 1000 http://neos.apache.local/

With Apache2, I get results from 3 - 5 requests per second.

ab -c 100 -n 1000 http://neos.nginx.local/

With Nginx, I get results from 15 - 18 requests per second.

My question is, if those result can be considered as "normal" or if I may be missing some important configuration options? Do others of you have similar performance experiences?

Best regards
Torben