[Neos] Why no iframe in the "backend" editing mode?

Bastian Waidelich bastian at typo3.org
Fri May 9 16:44:44 CEST 2014

Stefan R. wrote:

> For the last couple of days I played around a bit with Neos and I must
> say I really like lots of the new concepts in Neos. But there is one
> thing that is actually not that well implemented in my opinion. It's the
> fact that the "backend" editing mode is not using an iframe to display
> the actual frontend page.

Thanks for your feedback!

I have made some bad experiences with restrictions of IFrames (even on
the same origin) in the past.

That's a while ago already and the support is probably much better
today. I just want to field another idea anyways:
With Web Components most of the drawbacks you correctly observed would
be obsolete (especially with Shadow DOM and encapsulated CSS/JS) and it
would probably be easier to migrate to WC than to IFrames.

Frankly this is still pie in the sky, but with projects like Polymer[2]
I could imagine this to be usable in current browsers quite soon (and
github is already for that matter).

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/components-intro/
[2] http://www.polymer-project.org

--