[Neos] [Team] Editor discussion

Aske Ertmann aske at moc.net
Fri May 9 12:19:31 CEST 2014

Hi again

Here’s the outcome of our meeting, participated by Rens, Sebastian, Bastian, Aske, Christian (partly) and Marc (spying):

Agenda

Currently it’s not possible to extend (aloha) editing options as flexible as it should be.
Does it make sense to evaluate/use another RTE editor?
Can we extend aloha/its integration so that it has more configurable options?
Conclusions from technical discussion meeting
The architecture of Aloha could be better, but it's currently not the blocker
We should be able to improve the integration of Aloha so that more configuration options are exposed
At some point an abstraction layer for the RTE would be nice, but for the moment this would probably be counter-productive (e.g. Rens is currently working on a way to display Aloha sidebar options in the Neos inspector, solving this in an abstract manner would make it more complex)
Placeholders https://review.typo3.org/#/c/29929/
Aloha version
Additional features http://forge.typo3.org/issues/45434
Extending Aloha (linking e.g.)
usage of VIE/Create.js or other editors?

Conclusions:
Keep Aloha as the default editor distributed and supported by Neos.
Make it possible to configure JavaScript/create.js configuration through a specific provider PHP class which can be replaceable -- to enable. This won’t become a public API (yet) but the allow the functionality. - INTERNAL API
we should make sure all Aloha configuration is configurable in Settings.yaml - PUBLIC API
e.g. adding specific CSS classes, etc
We should consider updating Aloha to the rewritten version. ( https://github.com/alohaeditor/Aloha-Editor/tree/howling-mad )
TODO: ask for Status
roughly like “Scribe” editor, but also working in IE
Placeholders
there’s a change in Gerrit by Aske
patchset works
LET’S GET IT IN :-)
TODO: Review https://review.typo3.org/29929
Additional Features – http://forge.typo3.org/issues/45434
There are lots of things that would make sense to add, but it will depend on the demand when it will be implemented.
TODO: Involve Rasmus in UX related changes
Extending Aloha
let’s move the Aloha.settings inside JavaScript/aloha.js to a new file, so people can override it
VIE/Create.js
We’re only using a small part of it, does it really make sense to keep that?
TODO: Re-discuss