[Neos] Neos JavaScript Refactoring Work RFC

Sebastian Kurfürst sebastian at typo3.org
Wed Jul 16 09:21:33 CEST 2014

Hey my fellow team members,

as some of you might know, my company has grown a bit over the last
months. Now I am at a point where our current projects only need minimal
work from my side, as the remaining team is doing a great job there.
This puts me into the position to have some more freedom in what to do
again.

While I could do Neos projects (and I'd certainly like to!), I also
thought that it would be a good point in time to do some refactorings on
the TYPO3 Neos core, possibly in the following areas -- in order to get
a more robust Neos foundation which we can build new features upon more
easily. I could imagine at least the following topics:

  * JavaScript / Backend Communication (REST Service Cleanups, ...)
  * reworking content editing, getting rid of additional layers such as
    create.
  * general code reviews of bigger features
  * Helping with the split-screen translation UI

So, I'd like to work on the Neos core for a little extended amount of
time, currently I'd like to aim for about one month. I expect to be able
to work around 4 hours per day on Neos. If we take the Association
hourly rate of 55 Eur, that would be around 4000 - 5000 Euros.

So, my questions now:

  * What do you think of that idea in general?
  * What topics would you like most / what did I miss?
  * What budget should we take this money from? Or shall I ask the
    association directly (in case you all agree)?

Greets, and thanks for your feedback,
Sebastian