[Neos] feedback of 1 day working with a content editor

Aske Ertmann aske at moc.net
Mon Jan 27 21:52:22 CET 2014

Hey Dominic

First, thanks for sharing. I'm sorry to hear your frustration and I think everybody would feel the same.

On Jan 15, 2014, at 8:43 PM, Dominic Garms <djgarms at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to share my (frustrated) day with Neos. Beside the fact that for me as integrator / developer Neos feels very good in the beginning, content editors have very frustrating moments:
>
> 1. The backend is getting very slow, even with a 16mb internet line the backend is getting too slow to work with. After a while editing content the ajax spinners cycle that long, that a reload is necessary and very often the work is getting disturbed by a lot of random errors. The server is a managed server and has 8gb ram and lot of power, this should not be the issue.
I haven't really experienced this myself, would it be possible for you to help figuring out why this happens? Is it a specific browser or is footprint getting too big (client side memory leak)?

> 2. The content structure area is too tiny, we tried to insert 17 topic panels and it was almost impossible to drag and drop anything inside. cut and paste seems to have some problems, we gave up on this one for now. The main problem is, that if I add a new element inside of a content collection, it is getting inserted as first one and not on the end of the collection. So it was hard to move it to the end of the collection, the "+" button on the very last content element was not working correctly or inserted into the wrong location and cut and paste was not working properly. And after the "+" selection of a content element, this new element must get preselected, otherwise the editor needs to search for it - with many content elements very time consuming.
We actually thought about making the node tree collapsible in order to make the context structure bigger for these cases, but we didn't manage to fit it in there in the first iteration, but it's good to know it's actually needed.

Regarding the insert/copy/paste problems, we are already aware that it's not a smooth experience yet. It's the first version so it will get better over time. Bear in mind that such a component takes hundred of hours to make, I could write a whole book chapter about the features/edge cases it has to handle.

Regarding the preselection, I think you're right. We actually had this before but we didn't want it for the node tree so we removed it. But for the context structure it does make sense for sure.

Added new tickets for two of them http://forge.typo3.org/issues/48071
Please feel free to add more for the actual issues you experienced.

> 3. Restriction for new content collections: it should be possible to configure NodeTypes ContentCollection, that only specific child elements are available. Often it happens that a content elements find its way to the wrong position in the context - a lot of errors pop up and an editor can't read them. The drag'n drop should not be possible and the "+" adding should only show the possible options for the current collection. This would serve a lot of time and makes content creation faster. Often only one type is possible, so the "+" button would add automatically this and the selection panel would be redundant.
This is feature we're been wanting but still haven't gotten around to. I'm involved with a project which needs this so it will happen in a near future.

> 4. There is a moment, that nothing works anymore in the backend. I changed some yaml configurations now the backend does not load some pages, the frontend only shows a more/less empty page:
>
> Could not read page metadata from response. Please open the location http://spain-internships.com/information/frequently-askes-questions@user-admin outside the Neos backend
>
> PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function getContext() on a non-object in /Data/Temporary/Development/Cache/Code/Flow_Object_Classes/TYPO3_Neos_ViewHelpers_ContentElement_EditableViewHelper.php on line 72
>
> I changed parts inside of the NodeTypes.yaml file, hoped that the changes are getting adjusted to all other elements. For example I removed a ContentCollection child of Page but still the element is visible. Is there something to reset to the actual yaml configuration? I tried flushing the cache but it doesn't work.
>
> It reminds me on configuration errors inside of flexforms, but there was always a way to hide/delete content elements through ListView to check which content element is making the trouble. Now I don't see a way to solve it, deleting all content till it happens again? Then a continuous integration wouldn't be possible - if some adjustments can break the whole backend beeing visible.
There were another topic about this in the mailing list before I got time to respond to this, which explains it in case you didn't see it already.

Sorry about the late feedback, it's hard to find the time between all the other Neos work.

Hope you'll still have encouragement so we together can make the next version even better.

One side node is that more of team are actually planning projects with Neos which will allow more people to spend more than just their free time working on these things.

Best regards
Aske