[Neos] feedback of 1 day working with a content editor

Dominic Garms djgarms at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 20:43:02 CET 2014

Hello,

I would like to share my (frustrated) day with Neos. Beside the fact
that for me as integrator / developer Neos feels very good in the
beginning, content editors have very frustrating moments:

1. The backend is getting very slow, even with a 16mb internet line the
backend is getting too slow to work with. After a while editing content
the ajax spinners cycle that long, that a reload is necessary and very
often the work is getting disturbed by a lot of random errors. The
server is a managed server and has 8gb ram and lot of power, this should
not be the issue.

2. The content structure area is too tiny, we tried to insert 17 topic
panels and it was almost impossible to drag and drop anything inside.
cut and paste seems to have some problems, we gave up on this one for
now. The main problem is, that if I add a new element inside of a
content collection, it is getting inserted as first one and not on the
end of the collection. So it was hard to move it to the end of the
collection, the "+" button on the very last content element was not
working correctly or inserted into the wrong location and cut and paste
was not working properly. And after the "+" selection of a content
element, this new element must get preselected, otherwise the editor
needs to search for it - with many content elements very time consuming.

3. Restriction for new content collections: it should be possible to
configure NodeTypes ContentCollection, that only specific child elements
are available. Often it happens that a content elements find its way to
the wrong position in the context - a lot of errors pop up and an editor
can't read them. The drag'n drop should not be possible and the "+"
adding should only show the possible options for the current collection.
This would serve a lot of time and makes content creation faster. Often
only one type is possible, so the "+" button would add automatically
this and the selection panel would be redundant.

4. There is a moment, that nothing works anymore in the backend. I
changed some yaml configurations now the backend does not load some
pages, the frontend only shows a more/less empty page:

Could not read page metadata from response. Please open the location
http://spain-internships.com/information/frequently-askes-questions@user-admin
outside the Neos backend

PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function getContext() on a non-object
in
/Data/Temporary/Development/Cache/Code/Flow_Object_Classes/TYPO3_Neos_ViewHelpers_ContentElement_EditableViewHelper.php
on line 72

I changed parts inside of the NodeTypes.yaml file, hoped that the
changes are getting adjusted to all other elements. For example I
removed a ContentCollection child of Page but still the element is
visible. Is there something to reset to the actual yaml configuration? I
tried flushing the cache but it doesn't work.

It reminds me on configuration errors inside of flexforms, but there was
always a way to hide/delete content elements through ListView to check
which content element is making the trouble. Now I don't see a way to
solve it, deleting all content till it happens again? Then a continuous
integration wouldn't be possible - if some adjustments can break the
whole backend beeing visible.

Thats my thought, I wish you guys a nice evening,

Regards,
Dominic