[Neos] Could not read page metadata from response. Please open the location error message

Christian Müller christian.mueller at typo3.org
Fri Jan 24 15:13:18 CET 2014

Hi,

Dominic Garms wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What exactly does this error message mean:
>
> Could not read page metadata from response. Please open the location
> (...) outside the Neos backend.

That normally means the metadata that we render when logged in was not
found by Neos.
Check prototype(TYPO3.Neos:Page).neosBackendDocumentNodeData
in
Packages/Application/TYPO3.Neos/Resources/Private/TypoScript/Prototypes/Page.ts2

> I have this error currently on all subpages of my Neos backend. If I
> open the locations outside of Neos there is no additional error, but as
> I can't edit the content the pages remain empty.

In the rendered html you can find this metadata at the top (if the page
works correctly in the backend) just after the opening body tag. So
first see if the metadata is not appearing on the pages that give the
error and then you could try to find why that happens.

> There is no additional error inside of the server log, its very hard to
> find out which *.yaml, *.ts2 or html template is responsible for this
> error. Is there any technique I can use to tackle this issue? Is there
> some sort of reset possible to clean up all nodes with the current
> configuration?

It is probabably an issue with your TypoScript. As this is (pretty
certainly) no error in the nodes itself but in the TypoScript there is
no reset. You could use the default demo site TS to render your nodes
and see if the same happens.

Cheers,
Christian